FISHKILL Rombout firefighters knocked down a chimney fire at a home on West Redoubt Drive this morning, but the family had to relocate because the house had no heat in it, a spokesman for the fire department said.

The call came in at 7:30 a.m. when the family was awakened by a smoke detector, said Kevin Barry. The fire apparently started in the area of a wood-burning stove on the first floor, setting fire to the structure of the chimney chase, which is the opening through which the chimney rises, and then to the area between the ceiling and the second floor.

There were no injuries to the family of four, Barry said. The Red Cross responded to help. He said the town building inspector deemed the place uninhabitable because of lack of heat, but that with a few repairs and restoring of heat the home could be used again, Barry said.

Firefighters had "a tough time" with the extreme cold weather, in single digits, but knocked the fire down in about 20 minutes, he said.

About Rombout

Rombout is an all volunteer fire company formed in 1971, and is named after the “ Rombout Patent ” which once covered most of the land in Dutchess County, NY. Rombout has about 50 active members, and many more exempt/associate members.

Rombout Fire Company protects the Rombout Fire District. Rombout is one of five fire departments or districts that protect the residents of the Town & Village of Fishkill, NY.

Social Media


  • Emergency
    P: 911
  • Station 1, District HQ
    901 Main St
    Fishkill, NY 12524
    P: (845) 896-8620
    F: (845) 896-8655
  • Station 2, Substation
    501 Cedar Hill Rd
    Fishkill, NY 12524
    P: (845) 897-4413
  • Rombout Fire District
    PO Box 401
    Fishkill, NY 12524
  • Catering Voice-mail
    P: (845) 227-1350