FISHKILL – Firefighters Sunday struggled against the elements to put out a blaze that left five people homeless the day after Christmas.
A smoke alarm woke the homeowner up around 11:30 p.m. Sunday and alerted him to a fire in the chimney of his home on Windsor Road, Rombout Fire Department spokesman Kevin Barry said Monday.
The homeowner reported the blaze, but "when firefighters arrived, the fire was coming though the roof," Barry said. "That’s how rapidly it spread."
Firefighters faced blizzard conditions as they brought in tanker trucks to supply the fire engines with water. They got the blaze under control by 4:30 a.m. and cleared the scene by 6 a.m., he said.
"They were up against a wall there with the weather. The wind fanned those flames, big time," Barry said.
Two adults and three children lived in the house. No one was injured and the family is staying with friends for the time being, he said.
The identity of the family was not released.
About 30 firefighters responded to the scene.
The Rombout Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from the Village of Fishkill, Hughsonville, East Fishkill, Chelsea, Glenham, New Hackensack, Dutchess Junction and North Highland departments and the Dutchess County Fire Investigation Team.